Precious bundle of joy

10:12 PM

My little one arrived and woah has it been a roller coaster of emotions. After hearing stories from everyone and reading about every article on childbirth, nothing and I mean NOTHING can prepare you for your very own birthing experience. I've found that each birthing story is so unique, with it's own crazy little and big details! Here's mine. My baby boy was due on the December 10th but decided to make his big debut on December 15th. Let me rewind though to Monday December 14th which is when everything started. On that day, I was hoping my OBGYN would tell me I was getting ready to go into labor. After going in to see him though, he told me that I was only 4 cm dilated. Felt my heart sink when he told me "Sorry mija, Lukas will not be coming today"

Went home feeling like crap! Went home and stuffed my face with a few chicken tamales in hope that it would make me feel better. (It didn't!)

After sleeping sitting up, I was so sleep deprived and exhausted. My belly had gotten bigger than ever and my perfectly smooth belly had begun to get large red stretch marks just a week before (the horror!) I had totally tried to avoid them and now that I had them, I was thinking to myself that I would never be able to show my off belly again (funny thing is I never did in the past anyways.) My husband told me that I should wear these new marks proudly....."unlike a warrior who gets a scars in battle," he said "you're getting scars for bringing a life in to the world, and for that you should be proud." Such a touching thing to say and totally made me look at them differently.

Anyways back to the story! After eating my tamales,  I decided to take took a long walk with Mr. Waffles (my furry little companion who came to visit from my parent's.) My doctor told me walking would help with getting further dilated. We went for a long walk and after we arrived back home around 4pm, I couldn't brush off how uncomfortable I began to feel. No matter what position I sat in or if I stood up or moved around, the tightening in my lower belly would not go away. As time went by, the tightening began to increase and I began to feel more cramp-like pain and that's when it hit me that I may be in labor.  I got my phone out and began to make note of my contractions. They went from being every 9 minutes and when 9pm came around, the contractions were occurring every 2 minutes, which the doctor had told me was an indication that baby was ready to come!! I wasn't sure what to make of it since earlier that day my doctor had just told me that I was only 4cm dilated.

 I decided to call the nurse advice line who suggested I go to the hospital to get admitted! We grabbed my hospital bag and off we went to the hospital. Couldn't believe it was FINALLY happening!!! I took a ton of snacks and on the way there my husband suggested we get some water at 7/11. I waited inside the car which may have been for about 5 minutes, but within that time the pain got so bad! Let's not talk about the drive there! For some reason we took the bumpiest road in the city of Long Beach  which only made my discomfort worsen! I will never forget that bumpy ride down Atlantic. (Them streets need to get fixed though!) After what seemed like forever we FINALLY arrived. I was admitted right away and was told that I was 6cm dilated. I was so glad! Guess the walking really did help. Although I had gone from 4cm to 6cm, the nurse told me it was still not enough to go in to labor, so they told me I'd need to walk for an HOUR around the hospital floor until I was further dilated. I thought to myself I could totally do it but after a few laps around the floor I wasn't sure if I was going to make it. The pain had gone from about a 4 to 8 and I had to stop periodically after just a few steps after each painful wave.  Poor Stefan tried to make jokes to make laugh but even that didn't help. By the time we arrived back to the room, I had dilated to 8cm and let me tell you, I was in excruciating pain. It's such a weird pain to describe. Every contraction felt like a strong tightening and my belly felt like it was going to explode. In addition to my belly feeling so tight, my lower back was also feeling like it was about to break apart! Super dramatic but that's exactly how I felt.

I asked for an epidural which I got maybe about 30 min or so after returning from my walk. I honestly wasn't planning on getting one, but couldn't stand the pain any longer. The pain was so strong that I felt like I could not think nor breathe. It's such a helpless feeling. The nurse and the anesthesiologist went over the risks and I was so dazed out that I just wanted to get it over and done with. I remember being scared about that needle but in that moment I couldn't have cared less how big that needle was as long as the pain went away. I was told to sit as as still as possible which for me was difficult since with each contraction all I could do in response was arch my back. I sucked it up though and after getting the epidural, I immediately began to feel better. By this time it was already around 12:30am or so.

I could still feel the tightening but was nothing compared to before. I thought baby Lukas would arrive any minute but the nurses told me I'd have to wait a little longer. The following hours consisted of drifting in and out of sleep and waiting anxiously for a nurse to tell me when I should start pushing. Finally around 2pm, the contractions were back and more painful than ever! This is when the nurse came in and told me the doc would be in shortly and that I could start pushing. I pushed every time a contraction came on and counted to ten.  It started out easy and then it was extreme! At one point the nurse told me to stop pushing and wait for the doctor to arrive, however by then,  I wasn't even pushing anymore and my body had completely taken over.  I was so concerned because my doc hadn't even showed up yet!  Suddenly in a rush my doctor arrived with his nurses and set up and then began to motivate me and told me baby Lukas was almost out! It feel never ending but FINALLY Lukas arrived at 2:55pm weighing in a little over 8 lbs.

Right away he was placed on my chest and everything around me went silent. It felt as if it was just he and I in the entire room. Such a special and unforgettable moment with so many emotions, it was surreal! I went from feeling relief, to happiness and then terrified. How was I going to feed him? was I holding him right? when will he be able to nurse? why does he smell like boiled chicken? sooo many questions. He was on my chest for about an hour and after a while he opened his mouth and was ready to eat. I began to nurse him which wasn't easy at all. I had NO idea what I was doing, but whatever I did, calmed him down. After that we were moved to our room where the rest was a blur. Stefan slept in the bed next to ours and the three of us tried to rest as much as we could. Wasn't as easy since the nurses would come in and out to check in and tried to ensure that we had the whole nursing thing down. Let me tell you I was still in a lot of pain and my belly was still kind of big! We were in this hospital until Wednesday evening. Finally we were discharged Thursday afternoon!!! We were so ecstatic to go home, after being so sick of having no privacy. The whole experience was insane but well worth it. Now there's lots and lots of learning to be done, lots of diapers to be changed and many more sleepless nights,  but honestly nothing beats that amazing feeling of having this beautiful God sent gift in our arms.

I shall leave you with some lovely photos from Lukas' first week!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

POWr Instagram Feed

Subscribe